Sunday 20 May 2012

Cliches

I just want to write about how much I miss you ALL and how much I miss Canada.  If you think I have I have forgotten about you all, I have NOT.  Do not mistaken my love for this country and my love for the experience I am having in Africa, it is definitely a lifetime opportunity.  Even when we do not like the way things are sometimes it is best just to sit and be in that moment too.  However, it must be written that I knew I was a fortunate being and I had a great life in Canada, but I did not know how profound the extent of my gratitude was of being an able body and having so many freedoms until I came to live in Africa.  I am so grateful for the wonderful people I have in my life and I am grateful for my family.  I appreciated the good, the bad and the ugly times because without them I probably wouldn't have been who I am today and I probably would have not be missing all of you like crazy.  It is a hidden truth when we state it is only when we die that we realize how much we truly appreciate each other and it is also true that if  2 really good friends show up to your funeral, you are considered a lucky human being . One of my all time favourite Buddhist sayings is "The three most important things in life is how well did you live, how well did you love and how well did you let go."  Not only I have I been so lucky to have a healthy full life in Canada, I had the opportunity of being loved and the opportunity of loving so many people in my life.  My truest of friends and my family always being there for me no matter what and all the children and families I had an opportunity to help and work with in any which way I could .I am truly grateful for.  Learning to love myself and others for exactly who I am and who they are has been one of the greatest experiences to learn.  Not judging anyone and not wanting to change anyone is a spiritual journey I have learnt from becasue not only does it humble me, makes me realize even more we are all connected, it also makes me truly live in the moment.  Life is art and living is truly a piece of art to be learnt.  I have realized how much my life was not only truly blessed but also truly safe.  Living in Canada as an independent women and being able to go out whatever time I pleased and wherever I pleased and being able to walk alone without feeling unsafe is just one of the things I miss the most.  Women in Maputo are towards the beginning of independence movement and its is great to be here while this is occurring.  There are women in Maputo that own their own businesses, more girls attend university now and there are women in government too.  However, I have never been to a HOT country and NO ONE wears shorts.  The youth tell me it is because it is winter but the other day is went up to 32 degrees and still no knees and thighs in sight.  I have noticed that the women dress very conservative, in fact it seems very inappropriate to show your shoulders or have skirts higher than your knees.  The dress is formal, conservative and somewhat of a church going apparel.  I wish I brought more work wear than summer attire.  However too many should have, would have's and could have's can cause harm to your health.  In fact, if you do wear a "short" dress or skirt  here most people add the leggings.  There is way more men's fashion and better quality of clothing for men than women's.  Most clothing items here made for women is made from polyester.  
Another thing I miss most about Canada is the cleanliness, the recycling and are children and youth being conditioned at a young age for a healthy environmnet.  Canada is internationally known for its cleansines, keep it up Canada.  BRAVO!!!
 I am also trying to make a connection between AEFUM university students and the AMOR recycling orginization here I met this wonderful man Antoine through my Yoga classes and discover that he is running a recycling orginization here in Maputo City called AMOR please WATCH post of "O Caminho Certo."   The government here does not help out with garbage collection nor recycling so it is up to people and maybe other countries to come to aid here to start projects that help clean the city today for a healthier tomorrow and then maybe we can start putting public toilets everywhere that work.    
 I have aslo been given the opportunity to apply for a small grant from VSO for materials for my yoga classes with the youth at AEFUM.   Last week, I began my first class of yoga with youth which was literally on the ground with pebbles and cement.  Some wooden mats, some yoga mats and capalanas.   I also did my first class of yoga with children with different abilities at the private creche (childcare) and I loved it and they loved it also! I also met a wonderful Dutch teacher Mije whom invited me to attend a Friday art class with her in a neighbourhood a little way out of Maputo city that is impoverished.  The school is a room that an ex-maid made into a school at her house for the children in the neighbourhoods.  There is about 15 children from all ages in a room not more than 250 square feet. We began the class with songs in english then they taught me some children songs in portuguese.


Es sou criancas as muuito especial nao import a meu ta manho ta manho nao importa meu cabelo ate ao chav fou Jesus que me criou.


So wish me good luck and keep sending your positive vibes so I can make a positive change.


LOVE YOU & MISS YOU ALL!!! bjs
Rosie






1 comment:

  1. Glad your doing so well Rosebud!! Keep up with those Portuguese classes because we're going to grill you when you get back. LOL But in all seriousness, I'm proud of you and all you have accomplished my friend. You keep learning all that you can and help make this a better world. Sending you the most positive energy I can muster...be safe and absorb all that you can.

    Abraco amiga!!

    Nelson

    ReplyDelete